Episode 379: Tricky Tides
Release Date: August 16, 2021
Running Time: 122 min.
Life on the open sea isn’t easy for merchants. You have to know what each island needs. And you have to know where to sail to buy the right mix of coffee, sugar, spices, silk and gold so you can deliver the right goods.
And did I mention there are monsters lurking below the waves? Sharks and whales and dragons and even a kraken! You may spot them as you travel. And if you play your cards right, you might even get them to do your bidding once in a while.
Tricky Tides is a charming and challenging trick-up-and-deliver game. Play cards to tricks like a classic card game. The card you play determines how your ship sails across a network of islands.
Chart a course over three hands; collect and deliver as many goods as you can, and you’ll amass fortune enough to retire to your own island.
Listen in for a full review, PLUS:
- The Meal, featuring recipes and game recommendations from Doug and our newest contributor: Brenna Noonan!
- Game Night Grab Bag, featuring Ezra Denney and Stephen. The challenge? Choose three surprisingly mean games for their next game night.
Designer: Steven Aramini
Art: Naomi Ferrall
Publisher: Gold Seal Games, Zafty Games
2-4 players 30-40 min. ages 12+ MSRP $30
Time to teach/learn: 5-8 minutes
Brenna Noonan - Mini Cheesecakes & Reykholt
Mini Cheesecake Recipe
For the crust
- 2 cups graham crackers or digestive biscuits
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the filling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 - 8 oz bricks of cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
For the topping
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch
If your graham crackers/biscuits aren’t crumbs yet, use a food processor to pulse them into fine crumbs. Pour crumbs into a medium bowl and stir in the brown sugar, salt and melted butter until combined. Mixture will have the consistency of wet sand. Spoon 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of the crust mixture into each muffin liner and use the back of the spoon to pack it down tightly.
Whip the cold heavy cream into stiff peaks. Mix the cream cheese, vanilla and granulated sugar together until smooth and creamy. Slowly combine the whipped cream and cream cheese mixture. Keep in mind, you don’t want to deflate all the air in the whipped cream.
- Heat up berries with water, sugar, and lemon juice until the berries begin to break down.
- stir in corn starch to thicken the sauce
- Place cupcake cups into a cupcake tin. Pack in the crust base into each cupcake cup.
- Fill the cups with the cream cheese mixture
- Spoon the berry topping onto each mini cheesecake
- Refrigerate until ready to serve!
Doug - Chicken Salad & Sushi Go Party
Chicken Salad Recipe (created by Lisa Bryan)
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup red grapes quartered
- 2 stalk celery diced
- 3 green onions (green and white parts) sliced
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Poached Chicken
Place the chicken breasts in a wide pot or pan and cover by about an inch with cold water. Season the water with salt. Optionally, you can add aromatics of your choice. Read my poached chicken recipe for more details.
Turn the heat to medium until it reaches a gentle simmer. Then reduce the heat back to low and cover the pan. Let the chicken simmer for 8-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the chicken and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Then chill in the fridge.
Chicken Salad Recipe
Transfer the cooled chicken to a cutting board and dice it into 1/2-inch pieces.
Slice and dice the celery, green onion, grapes, parsley and tarragon. Add those ingredients to a mixing bowl along with the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix everything together until it's well combined. Let it chill in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
Sushi Go Party
Game Night Grab Bag
The Challenge: Surprisingly Mean Games
The Contestants: Ezra Denney & Stephen
*Ezra mentions custom Owner's Choice dice in the segment. I can't find links to any currently available. When/if I do, I'll list a link here.
Apropos of Nothing
Penny Measurement (courtesy of Sam Hozman)
Music credits include: